Effective April 1, 2023, I am no longer accepting new clients and will be taking a leave from the practice of law later this year. Thank you for your understanding.

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions
Questions about Education
Questions about Family Issues, including Divorce, Alimony, Child Support, and Custody
Questions about Estate Planning

General Questions

Question: Where do you practice?
Answer: My office is located near the intersection of I-285 and I-75 on the north end of Atlanta. I practice throughout the greater Atlanta area including Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton, Gwinnett, Paulding, Cherokee, Newton, Coweta, Rockdale, Henry, Fayette, and Spalding counties. Depending on the case, I may travel in other areas of Georgia. Please contact me to see if I can help you with your case.

Questions about Education

Question: What is an IEP? Does my child qualify for one?
Answer: An IEP, or an Individualized Education Plan, is an educational program tailored to fit the needs of your child. The program is created by parents, teachers, paraprofessionals, and in some cases the student themselves, to set goals for the unique needs of your child. Any child in a public school who utilizes special education services qualifies for an IEP evaluation. Eligible categories include, but are not limited to: autism, emotional & behavioral disorders, speech language impairment, and gifted students. IEP development can be long and the process can be difficult to understand. I am a well-informed ally of you and your child during the process.

Question: I believe my child is being bullied, what options do I have?
Answer: Bullying is any unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves real or perceived power imbalance. Usually the behavior is repeated, but sometimes a single instance is bullying. Bullying can occur both in person and in the form of cyberbullying (bullying behaviors via the Internet, especially through social media). The effects of bullying can have a lasting effect on the scholastic and mental health of a child. Depending on your child’s situation, different strategies will help stop the bullying. I work with parents to help address and prevent future bullying of their child in public and private schools.

Questions about Family Issues, including Divorce, Alimony, Child Support, and Custody

Question: What is an uncontested divorce?
Answer: An uncontested divorce is a divorce in which both parties agree not only to terminate the marital relationship, but they also agree on the terms of the separation. These terms include: custody arrangements, alimony or child support payments, division of marital property, etc. Uncontested divorces are typically less expensive and quicker to execute than contested divorces, as both parties come to the table with agreed upon terms, and, there is less time being spent drafting documents and negotiating terms.

Question: Do I need representation for adopting a child(ren)?
Answer: The short answer is ‘yes’. While adoption is a wonderful way to add to your loving family, adoption documents and proceedings can be very intricate and great attention must be paid to the details. Let me do the work for you so that you can focus on the more important things, like welcoming the newest member of your family into your home.

Question: Can you help me negotiate custody and/or visitation arrangements?
Answer: I work with opposing counsel, appointed guardians, and mediators to create a parenting plan that works in the best interest of you, your child(ren), and your co-parent. In the event that this cannot be negotiated, I will have maintained evidence and documents that will show the court why an arrangement that benefits your child(ren) is the best option.

Question: My financial situation has changed. How do I get a modification for alimony and/or child support payments?
Answer: The financial situation of you or your former spouse may have changed since your initial alimony or child support agreements were made. Negotiating and making modifications to these arrangements can be a tedious task, but something I can assist you with. I will work to get the most equitable arrangement for all parties involved, especially when it concerns the support of a child(ren).

Question: What is legitimation?
Answer: In the State of Georgia, if a child is born out of wedlock, the father must go to court to obtain certain rights to his child(ren). Legitimation is the name of the legal process by which a father requests legal parental rights to his child(ren). Legitimation is the only way (other than marrying the child’s mother) to create a legally binding relationship. This can affect everything from inheritance to the ability to petition for custody or visitation.

Questions about Estate Planning

Question: I don’t have a lot of assets. Do I really need ‘estate planning’?
Answer: No matter how large or small your estate, planning ahead makes difficult decisions a little bit easier for your surviving friends and family. Estate planning covers not only the distribution of your material goods and property, but also include healthcare directives, end of life care, and power of attorney. Planning ahead also reduces the intervention of the probate courts, saving your loved ones’ time, money, and stress when it comes to the execution of your estate.

More questions and answers coming soon!